Thanks to Matt, our first stop was the best start of the day. In Uranus. I was amused from start to finish. I was very tempted to buy a hillybilly nut scratcher. Oh yes indeed. We had seen signs to Uranus the day before, my favourite was "exit for fudge packets in Uranus".
The basic route for today had 5 towns..... In fact we stopped at 16, two of which were ghost towns. Highlights were:
- Devils Elbow - walked over part of a bridge in the town which was named because of a sharp bend in the river that caused log jams.
- St. Robert - to buy a new camera as mine conked out and stopped auto focusing
- Waynesville - where we spoke to a lovely chap caled Pat who filled up our car and worked there 45 years. He gave matt a numberplate
- Somewhere on route, matt chatted to some criminals out working
- Buckhorn - to snap a picture of a GIANT bowling pin
- Lebanon - stopping off at the famous Munger Moss Motel. Buying stickers for the suitcase.
- Conway - where kids drove themselves home.... they looked 12
- Avilla - a ghost town where we popped into bar and had iced tea and was offered radishes fresh from the ground by a tipsy man driving a buggy.
- Carthage - a 1950s neon hotel called Boots Court. Pixie gave us a tour of her establishment and we were tempted to stay.
Tomorrow we aim the car at Kansas and clip its corner before heading into Oklahoma.